The Best Cities to Live in the UKNo Comments
Ever sat and wondered where the best place to live in the UK actually is? Wonder no longer, we’ve got the answer! Provident have been working hard to survey each UK city as part of their Unbroken Britain report. They went to major UK towns and cities and asked residents to rate their local area (from 1-10) on a number of key factors. With their data and key info gained from our own Property Detective reports, we can definitively tell you where the best cities to live in the UK are.
Top 10 Safest UK Cities
What are the safest cities in the UK? We wanted to offer more insight than just residents’ perception of their hometown. We’ve run a PD report on the central postcode of each location to give accurate crime stats to support (or disprove) Provident’s findings.
10. Norwich – 7.5 Average Rating
Residents of Norwich feel pretty safe in their city. With an average score of 7.5, there’s a generally positive feeling towards living in the area. Before packing up your bags and moving your family to the East Anglian spot, crime rates dramatically vary around the different spots in the city. The centre for instance (NR3 3AT) sees 521% more crime than the national average.
9. Worcester – 7.51 Average Rating
The perception of safety in the West Midlands city has actually dropped since Provident’s September survey. Maybe this could be an indication of seasonal crime, or even the difference in people surveyed. With 747 crimes reported in the central postcode (WR1 3LE), we understand why.
8. Swansea – 7.54 Average Rating
People in Swansea feel pretty good about their city. With a 7.54 average rating, you could say it’s believed to be a suitably safe city to live. The centre of a city is usually where most crime is committed however Swansea’s central postcode (SA1 1EE) has seen 1036 offences in the last year, the majority of which being antisocial behaviour.
7. Edinburgh – 7.67 Average Rating
Edinburgh in renowned for being a welcoming and friendly city, according to its residents it’s a pretty safe one too! With a 7.67 average rating, there’s a generally pleasant view of the local area among its population.
6. Wrexham – 7.72 Average Rating
If you’re looking to move to a spot you’ll feel comfortable, you can’t go too far wrong with Wrexham. The city had a seriously high 7.72 average rating among its surveyed population. The city centre (LL11 2AH) features pretty low in comparison to other cities in our top ten list with 533 crimes reported in the last year.
5. Southampton – 7.75 Average Rating
The pleasant harbour town of Southampton is a great place to live according to those asked by Povident. With a 7.75 safety rating, there’s little to complain about in the coastal destination. The central postcode (SO14 0AB) sees a pretty high level of crime with 1064 reported offences in the last year.
4. Aberystwyth – 7.76 Average Rating
In Provident’s September report, Aberystwyth came in as the safest spot to live. Six months later and the company’s March report has seen the city drop to fourth. So how safe is it? With the city centre postcode (SY23 1LH) seeing only 274 crimes reported in the last year, it’s head and shoulders above every other entry on our top ten list so far.
3. York – 7.77 Average Rating
York’s a great place to live isn’t it? With a booming 7.77 rating for safety, we’re looking at one of the top UK cities. The central postcode (YO1 8QT) has a relatively high level of reported crime with 902 reported incidents in the last year.
2. Plymouth – 7.78 Average Rating
According to its residents, Plymouth is one of the safest cities in the country. According to our crime stats, Plymouth’s central postcode (PL1 1EA) has a very reasonable 610 reported crimes in the last year.
1. Aberdeen – 7.82 Average Rating
Aberdeen hits top spot for safety. The residents of the city have had their say and give the Scottish city the title of safest in the UK.
Top 10 Most Welcoming UK Cities
Next up on Provident’s survey of the UK is the most welcoming cities in the UK. Again, residents were asked to score themselves from 1-10. Here’s how they ranked.
10. Coventry – 6.91 average score
9. Cardiff – 6.92 average score
8. Southampton – 6.93 average score
7. Birmingham – 6.95 average score
6. Wrexham – 6.95 average score
5. Worcester – 7.08 average score
4. Aberystwyth – 7.1 average score
3. Swansea – 7.12 average score
2. Gloucester – 7.14 average score
1. York – 7.43 average score
Top 10 Friendliest UK Cities
It’s an interesting activity to ask residents of a city how friendly their local area is. Provident did this and some interesting results appeared. Here’s the top 10. (Interesting fact: London came in 30th on this poll).
10. Cardiff – 6.99 average score
9. Edinburgh – 7.03 average score
8. Birmingham – 7.04 average score
7. Southampton – 7.04 average score
6. Wrexham – 7.12 average score
5. Aberystwyth – 7.14 average score
4. Aberdeen – 7.16 average score
3. Swansea – 7.31 average score
2. Gloucester – 7.32 average score
1. York – 7.47 average score
Top 10 Politest UK Cities
How polite is your city? It’s interesting to see how these 10 cities differ from the most welcoming and friendliest cities. Here’s the list.
10. Manchester – 7.13 average score
9. Coventry – 7.17 average score
8. Edinburgh – 7.19 average score
7. Aberdeen – 7.22 average score
6. Aberystwyth – 7.24 average score
5. Southampton – 7.33 average score
4. Gloucester – 7.36 average score
3. Swansea – 7.4 average score
2. Wrexham – 7.42 average score
1. York – 7.59 average score
Top 10 UK Cities for Area Upkeep
Next on Provident’s report is area upkeep. How well maintained do the citizens of the UK think their city is? Sorry to anyone from Sheffield, you came in last on this one.
10. Southampton – 7.14 average score
9. York – 7.19 average score
8. Gloucester – 7.2 average score
7. Edinburgh – 7.24 average score
6. Coventry – 7.26 average score
5. Swansea – 7.26 average score
4. Aberystwyth – 7.33 average score
3. Worcester – 7.35 average score
2. Aberdeen – 7.36 average score
1. Wrexham – 7.39 average score
Top 10 Happiest UK Cities
Do the residents of your city walk around with a smile permanently glued to their face? Or are you in one of the UK’s grumpy hotspots? Interestingly, Sheffield came bottom on this poll with London not far behind at 28th.
10. Coventry – 7.19 average score
9. Brighton and Hove – 7.21 average score
8. Manchester – 7.22 average score
7. Aberystwyth – 7.24 average score
6. Swansea – 7.3 average score
5. Aberdeen – 7.34 average score
4. Gloucester – 7.39 average score
3. York – 7.39 average score
2. Wrexham – 7.46 average score
1. Worcester – 7.47 average score
So it’s official, if you’re looking to relocate, we’ve got a few suggestions for you. When you do move, be sure to get all the facts about your new area. Find out about local crime rates, amenities, schools, noise pollution, flight paths, transport routes and much more with a Property Detective report.